We promote citizenship through volunteerism and embrace our team’s strengths for social good.
At Nyhus, our core business is about people and making connections. Our corporate responsibility initiatives reflect this by promoting citizenship through volunteerism and embracing our team’s strengths for social good. We are aggressive about identifying ways to reduce our impact on the environment while fostering a happy workplace.
Over the last few years, we have made steady improvements to our internal corporate responsibility program. We now focus our program on measuring three areas: culture, impact, and citizenship.
The road to sustainability is a journey and we constantly evolve our program to challenge our team. Here is a snapshot of our current work:
|Create a positive, flexible working environment supportive of a healthy work/life balance
- Instituted flexible schedules where teleworking and flexible start times are available. Nyhus modified its time-off policy to create a generous PTO program.
|Provide regular opportunities for learning
- Created “Breakfast Brainfood Series” where external thought leaders are regularly brought in to share expertise on a variety of current affairs and relevant topics to the business. Employees are encouraged to seek continuing education courses and conferences.
|Reduce our environmental impact
- Year-end goal of reducing total pages printed month-over-month by 40 percent. Laptop compatible monitors have been installed in multiple conference rooms to discourage unnecessary printing related to meetings.
|Eliminate unnecessary travel
- More than 75 percent of Nyhus employees use public transportation to reach the office or travel to client meetings on a daily basis. Nyhus provides monthly transit passes to employees.
|Source from environmentally responsible vendors and suppliers
- Currently use soy-based inks and recycled paper produced primarily with wind power. Our primary office supply company is a locally-based company that specializes in green products.
|Encourage volunteering among all employees
- 55 percent of team is involved in 27 local organizations including: 5th Avenue Theatre, 826 Seattle, Graduate Washington, The League of Women Voters, Net Impact, Out for Sustainability, United Way Seattle, Washington United for Marriage
|Excite employees with unique pro bono client work
- Current and recent pro bono clients: Washington Clean Technology Alliance, Guiding Lights Network, Washington United for Marriage, Equal Rights Washington
|Partake in corporate giving aligned with our employee’s values
- Nyhus donates resources and money to several non-profit organizations, including: Equal Rights Washington, Forterra, GBCHealth, Greater Seattle Business Association, Habitat for Humanity, Henry Art Gallery, Seattle Parks Foundation, Washington United for Marriage